Monday, November 5, 2012

A Transition from Anger to Apathy

  My dad once told me that I heard the Wings goal horn from inside the womb. That is how long I have been a Wings fan. My fandom's intensity has ebbed and flowed throughout the years but it has never gone away. I have always known that I could come back to hockey and it would be there for me to enjoy. I have always been the weird kid all throughout my schooling who is from Chicago but, has a love unlike any other for the Detroit Red Wings and all other sports from the D. Then, in 2004, the NHL locked the players out and I lost the only live hockey experience I'd ever known. I was lucky enough to be sharing a skybox at the United Center with a few other families, or something like that, and when the last lockout happened, we got rid of it. We never have liked the Blackhawks, and never will, but it was the our way to see our Wings in Chicago a few times a year. (I am very lucky to have had that experience and I'm not expecting sympathy for losing it.) 

  We, as hockey fans, lost an entire season 8 years ago and going into this summer I thought, "They would never do that again, not after the record gains they've been championing..." It turns out, I was wrong.  I sincerely hope that we get hockey back this year but if we don't, I'm really not sure how much I care. I will find other ways to get my hockey fix. I've always considered myself a hockey fan first and then a Wings fan. Will this lockout change that? Probably not. 
   
  Congratulations NHL, you've made this diehard fan, apathetic. Come back, or don't. At this point, I'm really not sure I care. I will most likely be back but, I don't know that I will ever have that obsessed, crazed fan persona anymore. I may catch a game when I can but, it will most likely not be appointment television. 

Call me when you, both players and owners, are done being idiots... You might want to call with a very large apology, you have a very large amount to explain. 

No comments:

Post a Comment