Thursday, June 14, 2012

The Holmstrom Situation



Tomas Holmstrom. The man, the myth, the legend. Is he forgettable? I hope not. I will certainly never forget him, at 19 (my favorite number and my favorite Red Wing of all time) I have never known a Red Wings team without him… I love the man and I think no power play is better than one with his pretty booty in the crease deflecting pucks. For over a thousand games, he has been one of my favorites.
The problem is, is that he has been relegated to the fourth line and power play duties only. For a 39 year old that is challenging, especially when that 39 year old is taking the beating that Homer is… As I have stated before, I love Homer. I think this may be the time to let him go though, as much as I hate to say it. This season alone, Holmstrom had injections in both knees twice and he was still in pain, it is reported. I feel bad for him and I would really like him to stick around but, the fact is, if we are not going to use him, we need to let him go. Let him go be a rink rat for his sons, he will be a rink rat either way… so let him enjoy his sons while they still want him around.
I love Holmstrom but, he is getting to be a little too slow and we have young blood waiting in the wings. While he is on the bench, getting roughly 10 minutes a night, there is less room for a Gustav Nyquist or a Tomas Tatar to play. We need the young legs.
I’m sorry to say but, I think it’s time we turn him into a “special assistant to Ken Holland” like we do with others who don’t want to leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment