Saturday, June 16, 2012

On Kyle Quincey...

Source



Stats: (2011-2012)

  • $3.125Mil. Cap hit
  • 72 Games Played (54 in CO, 18 in Det.)
  • 7 Goals (5 CO, 2, Det)
  • 19 Assists (18 CO, 1 Det)
  • 26 Points



What the Organization has Said:
  • Don't remember where I heard this, Ken Holland has said he did not want to get rid of Quincey in 2008 (Waived and claimed by LA) but, it was between waiving him and keeping Derek Meech 
    • Holland thought Meech had a larger upside than Quincey.
  • Holland on Quincey: “We know him very well as we drafted him in 2003, helped him mature into an NHL player and watched his career develop.” (Source)
  • He became the player we hoped we would be. If we could do it all over again, we’d make a different decision.’‘ (Source)
So? What about next year?

If, most likely when, the Wings re-sign Quincey, they will be putting a whole lot of faith in Quincey. I expect that Quincey will make around 3.5M-3.75M. 
I will be reserving judgement as to how I really feel about Quincey until he has gone through training camp and learned/gotten back into the Wings system. 
I will say though, he did not impress me when he was traded and started playing for us. I think I'm going to chalk that up to the fact that when he returned to us, there were a whole host of injuries and he was inserted into a role he won't be filling next year. I think that he was trying too hard to fill in for Nick Lidstrom (out 11 games) and Jonathan Ericsson (out a month). When he came to Detroit this year, he was simply not adjusting well enough, fast enough for him to be effective. 

  • If Quincey can stop taking so many penalties, he can be a GREAT second pairing guy. 
  • He is a good penalty killer and power play guy
  • Holland trusts him -- therefore I do as well
    • In Kenny We Trust
Okay, so I will wait until he has played a few games after going through Training Camp to actually judge -- don't be surprised if I change my mind about him.

No comments:

Post a Comment