Thursday, June 14, 2012

On Jiri Hudler and Possibly Losing Him This Free Agency



Stats:
  • Height: 5’10”
  • Weight: 186 lbs
  • Age: 28
  • Last Cap Hit: $2.875 mil. 
  • Free Agent this year
What does he mean to the organization? 
Well, in 2010-2011, he was having a very disappointing season after defecting to Russia for ‘09-‘10. This past season, he had a career year, (25G, 25A, 50P) I chalk that up to playing with Zetterberg and Filppula… not that he doesn’t deserve some of the credit. The fact is though, that he played on the power play for most of the year and, while it struggled, he had only two power play goals. More times than not, I found myself wincing at him on the point because of the very real possibility of the other team scoring short handed. 
All that said, I think it’s time he test free agency. The reason that I say this is that he doesn’t skate very well, he’s certainly not what anyone would call a true sniper, and he’s not that good at the defensive side of the game. With goals coming at a premium more and more, teams will want a player who can put up 25 goals. The thing with Huds though is that I think he may want a pay raise, which he deserves, just not from the Wings. He is far too much of a compromise for the Wings, if he wants something like $4 mil. I will have no hard feelings, he makes me smile most days but, I would be appalled if the Wings spent $4 mil on Hudler when we have Nyquist/Tatar/Mursak/ etc. waiting in the wings. Nyquist is a top 6 guy and with Hudler in that role, he cannot do what he does best.
I think it’s time the Wings let him go. If we let him go, we can bring in some of our prospects and have cap space to bring in the two players we all know we want. Zach Parise and Ryan Suter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment